How exactly DO you build trust with donors? What are some of the most effective tools and and strategies you can use to develop authentic, trusting relationships with donors?
If you want to build the kind of donor relationships that lead to transformational giving, you need to make donors feel and understand that you’re invested in them as people, and not just in using them as ATM machines to support your cause.
- Practice active listening
- Pour yourself into the relationship, serving the donor at every opportunity
- Be honest and transparent in all your interactions
- Seek to hear, understand, and empathize with your donor
- Remember that it’s not about you. Your donor desires to accomplish great things with her wealth. You’re simply there to help make it possible for her.
- If something goes wrong, notify the donor immediately and provide solution options
Get more great tips like this in my book, Rainmaking: The Fundraiser’s Guide to Landing Big Gifts